Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Lorelei's second Michaels challenge

Lorelei Eurto has a knack for finding, and having a vision for, beads that I would normally pass over.  Case in point:  her first Michaels challenge.  I would have not looked twice at those resin sliders, but wow, am I glad that Lorelei did.

This time around, Lorelei found several different types of beads and asked her readers to show her what we could do with them.


I dove into the challenge without really having a plan.

However, the brown disc beads were calling my name.  I remembered a design from Cindy Holsclaw and decided to try it with the disc beads.  Cindy's Squared Circles Beaded Bead was perfect.


Cindy has more wonderful patterns for sale on her website, Bead Origami.  You can also see her newest designs on her blog.

I had my focal beads, but needed to put them together with the other beads.  After a bit of experimentation (okay, quite a bit of experimentation), I came up with this.


I found a few rectangle beads in my stash (also from Michaels) and thought they matched the rustic nature of the beaded beads.  I wanted to use a bit of leather, so I added a few embellishments to mirror the design on the rectangle beads.

I really like this necklace.  I would never have put these beads together, but I really like how they look.  I am a bit sad that I didn't use the white beads, but I'll save those for the next challenge.


The first time I wore this necklace, I received so many compliments.  Everyone especially loved the owl button, something I would never have added on my own.  Thank you, Lorelei.

Please take a few minutes to visit Lorelei's blog to see what the other participants did with these beads.  I know you won't be disappointed.

15 comments:

  1. Look at what you did with those beads! This necklace is so different~Earthy, Edgy. It has a great flow and really is gorgeous. I took a look at Cindy's patterns...lots of great ideas over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great piece. I love the asymmetrical aspect and the leather strap. Your beaded beads are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING NECKLACE!! Oh My Goodness! THIS. THIS IS WHY I DO THIS! You did something completely different and totally unique with those beaded beads! I love it. Nicely done!!
    Great addition of leather too! I saw those cool brass leather findings at the bead show this past weekend! I love seeing them in action, will absolutely have to order some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautifully created!!! Love what you did with those beads and leather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crushing on that leather! I don't have anything like that in my stash, but I will be looking for it now! I love, LOVE the beads you made. Beaded beads make my head spin as I cannot fathom how they are done without using a magic spell. You worked your magic here! Enjoy the day, Miss Tanya! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I'm loving those beads and the leather strap...truly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Ooooohhhhh". . .yeah, that's what I said the whole time I scrolled through this reveal. Everything about this necklace is amazing. Those beaded beads are perfection, the addition of the leather is sublime, the way it hangs is dreamy, and the use of the rectangular beads to balance the leather is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The focal beads you made were amazing! So original and again gorgeous. Love that necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goshness! This is just utterly Beautiful!! Wow really Impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I'm stunned Tanya - those beaded beads are so clever and mix so nicely with the leather. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous! I really love it. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those beaded beads are to die for! The whole piece is absolutely perfect. So fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tanya your necklace is impressive. Way cool beaded beads! Including the embellished leather makes your necklace so up to the minute style wise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tanya, this piece is fantastic - I love the asymmetrical quality and the use of the leather gives it a really cool, edgy and urban feel.

    I think the best work often comes from a challenge of some sort that forces us to really get out of our comfort zone, think out of the box, and innovate. While it doesn't always work out the way we hoped, in this case it was a huge success!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh look, those are Squared Circles beaded beads! Thanks kindly for the links to my website and blog :). I love how you've strung them - I never would have thought to use leather! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete