Thursday, September 8, 2011

Primal Chocolate Muffins

My husband and I have been following the Primal diet for a while now. (If you haven't heard of Primal, Mark's Daily Apple is a good place to start.)

The hubster started before I did, and, for quite some time, I attempted to "primalize" our dinners so he could eat what I cooked and maintain his diet. I made pasta or pizza with lots of veggies and he ate what I called "Italian stir fry." He's eat my chicken curry on it's own while I ladled it over rice to sop up the gravy. After a few months, I stopped making a dinner roll with our steak and tried his cauliflower rice. It wasn't long before I was on the bandwagon.

There are some things I don't even think about anymore: bread with dinner, sandwiches, rice, and pasta, for example. However, I really do miss other things: pizza and chocolate (more on that later).

The hubster and I are slowly moving the kiddo away from wheat and grains, at least, in what we make at home. Almond flour pancakes and muffins have become a breakfast staple for her. And she absolutely loves them.

Sometimes, though, she just needs a treat (as do I). Enter the chocolate muffin. These may not be strictly paleo, but these muffins are certainly a treat. They break up the breakfast routine and the kiddo has such fun helping to make them.


Don't they look yummy?

Primal chocolate muffins
(makes 12 regular size muffins)

2 cups almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cups cocoa
3/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cups plain yogurt
4 eggs
1 - 2 tblsp honey
1/4 - 1/2 cups carob or mini chocolate chips (optional)

Mix almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa in one bowl. In a second bowl, melt the coconut oil. When it cools, add yogurt, eggs and honey. Mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until mixed. Fold in carob/chocolate chips, if using.

Pour into the tin muffin cups. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

A few notes:
  • These stick to muffin pans. They also stick to paper liners. Use the tin liners. I promise, you'll be happier.
  • The carob/chocolate chips are not strictly primal, but the kiddo likes them
  • The same goes for the baking powder and baking soda. I've tried the muffins without and they didn't quite rise. I figure the small amount is worth the end result (something the kiddo LOVES)

4 comments:

  1. Goodness I don't think I could ever give up chocolate and pizza. I live for them both.

    I'm headed off now to find out more about this primal diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, while primal isn't for everyone, it has really helped me lose a bit of weight and feel more energetic. Since pizza and chocolate are my favorite things also, I do cheat once in a while. :) Those muffins, though, help with the chocolate port. If I can ever find a non wheat pizza crust, I'll be in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried the cauliflower pizza crust? Super simple. Totally primal. Awesome way to get pizza back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great looking recipe. Thanks for posting - we're trying it this morning. On the pizza note, you should try Chef Alain Braux's coconut flour pizza crust in his book Paleo French Cuisine. We're very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete