Saturday, March 25, 2017

Bead Soup Blog Party - Bead Hoarders Edition

Once again, the wonderful Lori Anderson created a bead swap and blog/pinterest party.

This time around, Lori asked that we send hoarded beads to our partners -- the ones we kept around year after year, promising to use them, but never found the right project.

She also made it easier for those who don't have blogs to participate

I was partnered with Joelyn Bissing.  Her pinterest entry is here.

Lori asked that we package up our beads and have them ready to send when we were matched up.  After narrowing down what I wanted to send, I wrapped and boxed up the goodies ... and forgot to snap a photo.  So, you'll have to hop on over to Joelyn's post to see what I sent.

Joelyn sent me a gorgeous bead.


She said it reminded her of Napa Valley and I can totally see why.  When I saw it, my first thought was grapes and vines.

The back of it is just as beautiful.


I struggled for a while as to how to compliment the bead.  I wasn't sure how I wanted to hang it or what kind of bail to use.  

I briefly thought about bezeling it with seed beads, but dismissed the idea because I didn't want to cover any of the bead.

I finally settled on a celini spiral.


At first, I was going to use the celini spiral in the back of the necklace and create something with chain maille in the front.  That didn't work, or, at least, I couldn't find something that looked right to me.

After a while, I decided to make a long beaded rope.  I didn't have enough of one of the size 8 seed beads, so I switched to size 11s in the front and back of the rope. 


You can't tell from the photo, but I hid a small magnetic clasp in the beadwork.  It's in the back of the necklace where the beads come to a "V."

Since I couldn't just suspend the bead, I decided to add an element of chain maille.  I had this twisted lantern bead laying around, so I used it to help suspend the focal bead.


As I changed my mind and direction in the course of this project more times than I care to admit, I didn't have time to patina the copper.  I need to make the lantern embellishment darker so it blends better with the rest of the necklace.

All in all, though, I'm happy with how it turned out and I hope my beaded rope does justice to the gorgeous focal bead.


Lori, thank you again for hosting!  Bead swaps are so much fun!

Joelyn,  thank you again for such a gorgeous bead to play with!

If you are interested in hopping, you can find the list of participants here.  Many of them are using pinterest.  Just an fyi .. you need to be logged in to pinterest to be able to comment.  I about tore my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't see the "comment" button under a photo.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya,
    Oh the Cellini Spiral rope does do justice to the beautiful focal bead. Gorgeous necklace.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! A full length of Cellini AND a hidden magnet? That is such a crazy amount of work! The finished product is so beautiful, though. Great job, Tanya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work and wonderful necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanya, The cellini spiral shows that beautiful focal to perfection. I like the chaimaille bail also. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful! Your setting definitely sets off that jewel of a focal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya, your Cellini is beautiful, and it's the perfect compliment to that gorgeous lampwork bead. I like the solution you found to running short of size 8s - a neat texture variation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cellini spiral suits very, very well! perfect project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cellini spirals are one of my favorite bead stitches. You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing so much inspiration with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great bead to start with and you showcased it beautifully! You will enjoy wearing it for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chain maille was a great additions - makes the pendant pop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bead is gorgeous, and your rope necklace is perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That long beaded rope is gorgeous and it compliments the bead perfectly. The copper chain maille is just the thing to tie it all together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the beaded rope. I agre about patina'ing the chain mailed to darken it so it will blend more seemlessly. Great job.
    Janeen Burlingame

    ReplyDelete
  14. You HID A MAGNETIC CLASP IN THE BEADWORK?! What is this sorcery?! That's freaking amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great, love the rope and the fact that there's a clasp in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful jewelry design. Your beaded rope really sets off the pendant. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your piece is amazing, I absolutely love your beaded rope. I love the way you thicken it up and taper it back smaller in the center and on the ends. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your lovely beadwork really showcases that amazing Bead!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, your necklace is fantastic, I love the cellini spiral, it compliments the focal so well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful! I love the spiral and how you made it narrow (and more comfortable, I'll bet) at the back. The lantern connector adds a lovely element. The bead you got is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing piece. Again, I'm clueless on the seeds, and am in awe of those who make such art from a pile of tiny colorful things. Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, your beadwork is so awesome. And, the way you hid the clasp in the middle of it is so very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love the lantern chain maille, and the cellini is my favorite -- if I could do seed beads, that's what I'd make!

    Excellent job! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete