Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Beaded lace and swags

For my Challenge of Color entry, click here.

I've mentioned Gwen Fisher several times before.  Gwen and Florence Turnour have created some amazing patterns for beaded beads and pendants.  Most are for sale on their website, Bead Infinitum.

Gwen also sews and crochets.  Lately, she has taken an interest in producing beadwork inspired by Irish crochet and tatting.  She embarked on a beaded lace adventure and invited her readers to do the same.

I was eager to jump on the band wagon.  I was able to combine two of Gwen's beaded swags into one necklace using two hole daggers.


I love the way it drapes.


I finished the necklace with a beaded toggle.


This is my first project using Gwen's beaded lace techniques, but it won't be my last.  I have ideas for other projects ... just wait until you see Gwen's beaded lace flowers and medallions.

If you want to make your own, Gwen now has five beaded lace patterns in her etsy shop.

The first is her Athena's Acanthus bracelet.


I haven't purchased this pattern (yet), but it is an awesome cuff and is on my list of things to do.

The second is Beaded Lace Flowers.


These babies are easy to do and bead up very quickly.  Gwen gives instructions for several different flowers.  The pattern is also very easy to alter and create even more versions.  (This is next on my list.)

The third pattern is Beaded Lace Swags.


Gwen gives instructions for nine different swags, ranging from small to large, embellished or non embellished.   These work up more quickly than you would think and produce a gorgeous result.  I combined two of these for my necklace.

The fouth pattern is Beaded Lace Medallions.

Again, I can't wait to try this one.  I see so many possibilities.  The last photo in this listing shows many of these components combined into one amazing necklace.

The fifth pattern in the series is the "Eucalyptus Leaves" bracelet.


This one is brand new and I can't wait to try it.

I highly recommend these patterns.  The middle three don't give instructions for a specific necklace or bracelet and you are free to let your imagination run wild.  All of these components work well together and have the makings for some gorgeous jewelry.

4 comments:

  1. This necklace is Gorgeous~the colors and the way each dagger is framed~what a beautiful piece!
    The tutorials are so pretty~I like their style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always admired (i.e. dropped my jaw to the floor whenever seeing her work) Gwen's imaginative work. I really like what you've done with this lace technique -- can't wait to see the next experiments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your necklace. Thank you so much for this great post on my adventure. I'm really enjoying exploring the possibilities, and I'm beyond happy that you care to join me :). I look forward to seeing what you try next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I love how you've used dagger beads in this necklace!

    ReplyDelete