Friday, September 6, 2013

Paleo Protein Cookies

I've been playing around with this recipe.  I made a chocolate version and it turned out beautifully.  (That is coming as soon as I get decent photos.)

With bars and brownies out of the way, I had to try cookies.

Keep in mind, these are a treat (and sometimes a good breakfast on the go).  They freeze really well and I don't mind letting the kiddo have a few for dessert.  :)

The cookies made with vanilla protein powder produced a delicious chocolate chip cookie.  The texture was very close to "flour" cookies.  At least, I think so.  (I haven't eaten a wheat flour cookie in ages, though, so I might be mis-remembering.)

I used these chocolate chips which, while not really paleo, are a nice treat.  (I also used about half the amount I typically do for cookies).


The cookies made with chocolate protein powder were just as yummy.  I added chopped cherries to the mix (cherries and chopped walnuts/pecans would be delicious also).


The only thing I don't like about this recipe is that I use both the food processor and the mixer.  The two combined create more dishes than I really want to wash.  However, the results are worth it.

Be warned, also, the batter/dough is really wet and almost a cross between cake batter and cookie dough.  My "before photos" didn't turn out, so I can't show you, but don't be worried.  They bake up wonderfully.

Protein Cookies
(makes about 3 1/2 dozen)

1 cup pecans
1 cup walnuts
one 8 oz bag of dates
1/2 cup almond flour
1 and 1/2 cup whey protein powder (I use Mark Sisson's Primal Fuel)
1 and 1/2 stick (3/4 cup) butter, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
4 oz (or a half of a bag) chocolate chips OR 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chopped cherries

Preheat the oven to 325 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a food processor, pulse the walnuts and pecans until they are the consistency of coarse crumbs.  Add in the almond flour and protein powder.  Pulse again to mix well.  Add the dates and pulse again.

In a separate bowl (a standing mixer works great for this), cream the butter with about 1/2 cup of the nut mixture.  After the butter is creamed, mix in the eggs and vanilla.  Add the rest of the nut mixture and mix well.  Finally, add in the chocolate chips or chopped cherries and mix until just combined.

The batter will look like a really wet cookie dough, or something between a cake batter and cookie dough.

Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, drop about a tablespoon of dough per cookie onto the parchment lined cookie sheet.  These spread a bit, so leave some room.

Bake at 325 for 11 minutes.

These cookies do not brown, so they will not look "done."  Also, stir the batter before starting a new sheet of cookies.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment