Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Spike Ring

I bought Maggie Roschyk's book, Artistic Seed Bead Jewelry , about a year ago and love it.  The projects in the book use seed beads to frame or bezel larger beads, making them shine.

When I saw Maggie's "Sovereign Spike Ring" in the October 2012 issue of Bead and Button, I thought, "it's such a cool ring, but I could never pull it off."

Luckily for me, a friend saw the ring and said "I would totally wear that all the time."

I started pulling beads out and came up with this.


I loved how the bezel came together and it is a great way to use up left over beads.

I love the ring, though, with the spike, I probably wouldn't wear it.  I would, however, substitute a 6mm or 8mm pearl .. or the new Czech gumdrop beads .. or the pyramid beads.  I think you get the picture.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I love those spike beads and I loved that ring pattern too. I think yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic, and the color palate is really effective - your friend is going to love it!

    I absolutely love the spike beads. They create this edgy feel that really meshes with my personal aesthetic, but I can totally understand why this wouldn't appeal to everyone. I'd love to see your variations with other types of focal beads. I'm not sure if they would work in terms of the shape, but if you could make the pebble beads from Unicorne Beads fit, I bet they would look fantastic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous design - the colours are lovely, you've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete