Our first project was Echos of Nefertiti, published in the June/July issue of Bead and Button. I first saw this issue at the bead store and started paging through it. When I came to Echos of Nefertiti, I started walking around the store, issue in hand, looking for disc beads. I talked myself out of some beautiful green stones of some sort, promising myself I would come back to the necklace.
A few days later, Karyn, the mind reader that she is, announced the projects and I was overjoyed to see this necklace included.
I started looking in my stash and, with the exception of the 14mm round beads, found all sorts of things that would work. Unfortunately, everything I tried didn't seem right.
Then, I found these jasper beads and fell in love.
I thought it would be easy to find the right colors. I won't bore you with the details, but I went through quite a few tries to find the perfect "fit." As it happened, though, I had all the right beads in my stash and once I got going, the components were a cinch to make.
I was lucky enough to have delica beads that matched the tila beads. I used those with size 11 seed beads to make a twisty spiral herringbone rope.
I omitted the smaller components on either side of the necklace. I also used beading wire to string all the components together. I love the way it turned out.
The toggle is a wonderful component by itself and I can envision it as a bracelet or necklace focal.
This was a fun pattern and I can see how even one component can have several different uses. I can see earrings and bracelets in my future.
Our second project was Helena's Four Leaf Clover Cuff. As I was digging through my stash for the first project, I found a few hundred 3mm heliotrope bicones. I have no idea why I bought these, but I loved the dark blue/black color and decided to use those in place of the pearls. I also found matching seed beads in my stash.
At first I was a bit scared about using a bicone instead of a round bead, but I love the little diamond shape the bicones make in contrast to the open circle between the clovers.
I even found these 6mm pyrite rounds that I was able to use for the clasp. I was on a roll! I created this bracelet purely from my stash. (*beading high five*)
This was a fun bracelet. The pattern is easy to pick up and once I started the first row, I didn't need to reference the pattern until the end. This is a good thing when you want to watch Dr. Who on netflix in full screen mode.
Helena, thank you again for allowing us a discount on your pattern. For more of Helena's designs, check out her website.
Karyn, thank you for putting this together. I always look forward to the Beading Babes projects and reveal day is such a treat.
Please visit Karyn's blog, Releases by Rufydoof, for more information on our Beading Babes group.
If you would like to see other versions of these projects, please take a few minutes (hours) to see the beady goodness that will be listed soon on Karyn's blog.